Privacy Notice for Website
Our Commitment To Privacy
The Website at StudyforChange.com and its content (the “Website”) is owned and controlled by QuintilesIMS. QuintilesIMS is committed to protecting your privacy. You can move around most of our Website without giving us any personal information. We may need to receive, store and use certain personal information from you, including personal health information, in order to provide you with personalized information or services (the “Services”). This Privacy Notice describes how we use, release and protect personal information we receive from you when you use the Website or Services. As a user of this Website, you have the right to know how we protect personal information that we receive from you and what you can expect from us. You also have certain responsibilities which are detailed in the Terms and Conditions of Use.
IMPORTANT NOTICE – PLEASE READ
In order to provide you with any Services that you ask to receive through the Website, we may have to receive, store and use certain personal information from you which is considered “sensitive”. Examples of sensitive personal information we may receive – depending on the Services you ask us to provide – may include details about race and ethnicity, medicines or health conditions.
If you choose to provide us with such information, then you are consenting to our receipt, storage and use of this information as described by this Privacy Notice. You should not provide us with any personal information that you do not wish us to store or use for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
The Personal Information We Receive
We receive personal information that you choose to provide to us through the Website or through your use of the Services, including in any of the ways explained below. We also may receive personal information about you when you provide it to other websites that partner with QuintilesIMS to provide the Services (“Data Partners”) or if you participate in patient communities that you access through the Website. We receive personal information about you from our Data Partners only when you specifically permit them to share such information with us.
We receive personal information in several ways, which are described below:
- If you choose to register on our Website to receive Services from us, you will provide certain personal information. The personal information you provide to us may include an email address, zip or postal code, demographic information (such as age, race/ethnicity and sex), health conditions. You can update your information by contacting us at volunteer@QuintilesIMS.com or calling us at 800-292-5533.Each time you receive an automated Service email message, at the bottom of the email you will be given a link to unsubscribe or cancel your registration to the Website if you wish to do so. Or, you can simply send an email to volunteer@QuintilesIMS.com to unsubscribe or cancel your registration or you can contact us by mail using the details provided below.
- Visitors who consent through the Website to learn about research opportunities may be invited to provide information to determine qualification to be screened for study participation.
- If you choose to send information about research opportunities to a friend, we will receive their email address and any information you choose to include in the message. When you provide us with a friend’s information through our Website, we expect that you have already gotten their consent to provide this information.
- You may choose to contact us through links and email addresses provided through the Website. We will receive your email address and any other information you choose to include in your message.
Cookies and Information We Receive Automatically
We also receive information about our Website’s visitors through cookies. A cookie is a piece of data or a file that a website can send to your Internet browser which may then store it on your computer. Cookies store information such as the pages you visited, the Website features you used, and the amount of time you visited a page. We use what is called a “session” cookie on our Website: (a) to allow site visitors to personalize their experience based on information, products, and services that they are interested in, (b) to track a “user session” within a product or service you signed up for, and (c) to keep users from taking part in a survey or voting more than once. These cookies are:
ASP.NET session cookie
ASP.NET authentication cookie
Google Analytics cookies
Session and authentication cookies are automatically deleted when you close your Internet browser. The Analytics cookie is used to collect information about how site visitors use our site in order to help us improve our site and the user experience. These cookies are not linked to any personal information that can identify you. You always have the right to say no to the storage of cookies on your computer, or to disable and/or delete cookies at any time. We suggest that you accept cookies because they allow you to get the most out of your Website experience, including registering or logging into the Services you request. By clicking through the Website and/or registering for Services, that means you have accepted our cookies.
Some cookies are set on our Website by our Data Partners and these cookies are not under our control. These cookies may allow site visitors to share content from this Website, for example through Twitter, Facebook, etc.
We receive IP addresses in the normal course of the operation of our Website. An IP address is a code assigned to the device you use to access the Internet by your Internet service provider. We may use your IP address in order to identify your device so that we can provide a customized service for you.
We also use standard web logs that record basic data about people who visit our Website. The following information is contained in these logs:
• The date and time of the visit
• The pages of our Website viewed during the visit
• The IP address of the computer used to visit the site (Computers automatically generate an IP address as they surf the Internet. IP addresses are also used to track new versus return visitors to the website and the clinical trial questionnaire)
• The type of Web browser used to view our website
• The website visited immediately before coming to QuintilesIMS website
We do not normally seek to identify individuals from Web logs. However, Web logs may be used to identify an individual who we have reason to suspect tried to damage our website or use it in an unauthorized way. If we have reason to believe that there has been a violation of computer security or related laws, we may share our Web logs with law enforcement agencies.
We allow third-party companies to collect anonymous information when you visit the Website and to use that information to serve ads for Quintile Services when you visit other websites. These companies may use anonymous information (e.g., navigational, non-personally identifiable information, click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over, etc.) during your visits to other websites in order to provide advertisements about QuintilesIMS Services likely to be of interest to you. These third parties may use a cookie or a third party web beacon, or other similar technologies, to collect this information. To opt-out of third-party vendor’s cookies on other websites, visit the Network Advertising Initiative website, click here http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/
How We Use Information
We may use any personal information that you provide to us in order to maintain your account and to provide you with the information, products and/or Services you request.
We store the personal information you provide through the Website in a secure, encrypted database.
If you contact us to request more information about Services, your request and any details you provide, such as name, telephone, email address or medicines, will be shared with our staff to carry out your request. With your consent, we may share the information you provide with healthcare professionals or researchers to carry out your request, such as the sharing of your contact information if you wish to be contacted for a research study.
We may use the email address you provide when you register for Services to confirm your point of origin in order to see how effective our Website advertising efforts are.
We may use other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, such as Website technical support, sending communications on our behalf, delivery of prizes or rewards, and other services. If we provide personal information to such companies, we only provide the personal information they need to provide us with the service. They are required to keep the information confidential and cannot use that information for any purpose other than to provide services on our behalf and obey the law.
QuintilesIMS combines and uses non-personal information (aggregated data) from our Website to study how our site is being used. We will periodically analyze this aggregated data and use what we learn to make improvements to our Website. In addition, we may share this aggregated data (which does not contain any information which can identify an individual) with our clinical research partners to assist them in better designing their websites or clinical trials.
Also, we may use non-personal data for research purposes to improve research knowledge. In addition, we will make non-personal data available to qualified commercial and non-commercial researchers for various types of research studies.
We may release personal information in other situations, such as: (i) if we are required or permitted to do so by law or legal process, (ii) in response to reasonable requests by law enforcement authorities or other government officials, (iii) when we believe release is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity, or (iv) if necessary to protect the very important interests of another individual (such as to prevent death, bodily harm, or serious damage to property). We hold the right to transfer information about our users if we ever sell or transfer all or nearly all our business or assets.
We will not use or release your personal information in a way that is meaningfully different than described in this notice unless we first get your consent to do so.
Our Commitment to Data Security
We have put in place appropriate measures to protect the personal information you provide to us through the Website, through a Data Partner or your use of the Services. For instance, your personal information is kept on a secure, password protected server in encrypted format, and use of removable media, such as a CD-Rom, requires encryption.
Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, we do not receive or keep information on our Website from people we know are under 13 years of age, unless the information is provided by a parent or guardian that creates a registration on behalf of their child. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under 13 years old and believe that we may have mistakenly received information about your child, please contact us using the details provided below.
How You Can Access or Correct Your Information
For confidential questions, you may send a letter asking for a telephone contact from the QuintilesIMS Privacy Office. The personal information you provide will be kept by QuintilesIMS for a reasonable period of time for business and legal purposes.
You can contact the QuintilesIMS Privacy Office by sending a letter to the mailing address or email address listed below. Please include your contact information, name of the QuintilesIMS Website or service at issue, and a detailed description of your request or privacy concern.
ATTN: Privacy Office
4820 Emperor Blvd
Durham, NC 27703
- You can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to register and to receive the Services.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail or other services from us, you can choose not to register or to unsubscribe.
- If you receive e-mail and do not want to receive e-mail any longer, you can use the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email. When you choose to unsubscribe, your registration will be canceled and you will no longer be able to access or receive any information or Services.
- We suggest that you accept cookies, but if you disagree, please visit the Help feature on your browser which can tell you (1) how to prevent your Internet browser from accepting new cookies, (2) how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or (3) how to disable cookies altogether. It is very important that you understand that if you block or otherwise reject our cookies, you will not be able to use any of the Services that require you to sign in.
Links to Other Web Sites
Our Website may contain links to other websites. You should carefully review the privacy policies and practices of other websites, as we cannot control or be responsible for their privacy policies or practices. For other QuintilesIMS web properties which our Website links to, please review those privacy terms as well, as they may differ from those on this Website.
Notification of Changes
As we provide more information and services on our Website, change our privacy practices, and as privacy laws and regulations change, we may need to revise or update our privacy notice from time to time. We will always change the “last updated” date on the privacy notice to reflect when it was last revised. If we make a meaningful change to the privacy notice we will inform you here, by email or by means of a notice on our Website home page. However, we will always continue to protect your personal information according to the law and as described by our current privacy notice.
This privacy notice was last updated May 2014.